-->




Movie Review: Obvious Child


I was excited to get a press invite to a screening of Obvious Child. I've been wanting to see this film since Jenny Slate did a short with the concept in 2009, followed by a subsequent Kickstarter. I have a soft spot for Slate who used to do free comedy on Wednesdays with her bestie Gabe Liedman (also in the film). She created Marcel the Shell, which is pretty amazing and one time, we complimented each other's fashion (yay!). I don't personally know her, but I'm weirdly proud of her for doing her own thing and being a part of such a unique film.

Being a fan of Slate and having seen the short, I basically knew I'd love Obvious Child.  I went by myself (because I'm a badass) and sat down to watch the first romantic comedy about abortion. 

It's cliche, but I laughed, I cried, the whole deal. The film is hilariously quirky, but also incredibly real. I choked up when Slate's character crawled into bed with her mom, telling her she was pregnant. The moment made me miss my own mom and obviously think about "what ifs" and potential crisis. My mom is considerably annoyed that I live so far and I totally get why. 

For a film, it's kind of heavy on the stand-up, but also seems like a large part of the character's life so I didn't mind too much. I noticed they changed fellas from the short to the film, but this guy does a great job endearing you towards him. The film is super female-driven, which is so cool and sadly pretty rare. 

It may be a "romantic comedy," but it uses cliches in all the right ways to touch on how it feels to be a young woman, or person for that matter, dating in NYC. Two-thumbs up!



This photo. So cute!

This film was part of the Rooftop Summer Series, which is a  non-profit known for showcasing up and coming filmmakers and musicians. (<-I gotta tell my boyfriend to get in on that).

If you head over to BUST.com, they are giving away tickets!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to finally see this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a fantastic movie. I hope that it opens up in Chicago sometime soon, I'd love to see it.
    By the way, I love the posts that you do for xojane. I think I've read all of them at one point or another, so I was really happy to stumble across your blog as well.
    Cheers!
    Jessica, cakesandcakesvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I probably won't be doing too much with them in the coming months. I'm hoping to build this blog up a bit so I'm glad you found it! =)

      Delete