-->




Varsity Blues and Girl Gang Jackets

TREND ALERT!
I've seen plenty of dudes sportin' the classic letterman jacket, but it's not until recently that I'm seeing ladies get in on the action as well. The bow ties, loafers, and cardigans of school years past have since become staples in many people's wardrobes, so it's only natural that this schoolyard gear would also make an appearance. The jackets were all over the runway, at shows from Alexander Wang and Phillip Lim to Moschino and Rag & Bone. They can now be seen on celebrities and stylish street stylers alike.  
For examples of the updated letterman look, check out some runway photos below, along with celebs and bloggers rocking this old-school style. Look out for my own letterman experimentation as well!
Alexander Wang
Phillip Lim 
Moschino Cheap & Chic
Rag & Bone
Photo via The Sartorialist
Elle Fanning
Lady Gaga
Kristen Stewart
Blogger, Luanna, of Le Happy
Blogger, Sierra Kusterbeck, of Back Words
Here are some of my letterman experimentations. This jacket was literally my high school jacket back in the day, but alas it has no "letters." I almost got a drama patch, but that was about it. I wore this to a bar the other night and, for a second, I was kind of scared the doorman would actually think I was in high school. The jacket was quite warm, but it took me a little while to get used to its bulkiness. Overall, it's not necessarily going to be my new winter jacket, but I might just be pulling it out a bit more often.   
When I was chewing gum waiting for the subway, I felt like I was in a girl gang from the fifties. This is my "girl gang" face.
Letterman sweaters deserve love too. This was my mom's sweater from the seventies! I showcased the petticoat in this post, but the sweater went with it perfectly. 
I felt like Sandra Dee!
If you feel like rocking one of your own, Refinery 29 has a great list of options!
[Also on BUST.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment